From George Orwell to Football: This website presents many books and
articles which are concerned with the relationship between English-speaking
German-speaking cultures. On this side you will find some English texts
covering a wide range of topics, from Eric Ambler, the foremost political
thriller writer; to Stuart Hood, a true European spirit; to Philosophy
Football, a unique adventure; to a comparison between two insular states,
namely England and Switzerland. On news you
will find topic reports, some of it in English, and in my bookcase there is a wide range of books
- Baron Munchausen. Back to Germany – With Interest. A
new German Edition of Baron Munchausen’s Adventures Sparks
a Lively Intercultural Exchange.
September 2016 [pdf
- Moyamoya – two movingly drawn graphic novels for
children, showing how a disease affecting the brain can be cured
[pdf 80 KB]
- A new theoretical paradigm. Wolfgang Fritz Haug is a Marxist
philosopher who should finally be recognised in the English-speaking
world. [pdf 13 KB]
- Eric Ambler – the first ever biography on one of the
leading thriller writers of the 20th century [biography, pdf
47 KB / interview pdf
- Insular thinking. Great Britain and Switzerland: Two countries – one
attitude? [pdf 28 KB]
- Britain, Germany and Switzerland – a cultural perspective.
[pdf 49 KB]
- «Bush is turning the USA into a garrison state».
Interview with Richard Rorty. Soundings 28, London December 2004,
184-192 [pdf 86 KB].
- Changing Countries – a study of oral history about the
experience and achievement of German-speaking exiles from Hitler
from 1933 to today [pdf
35 KB, text sample pdf
- Stuart Hood. A Scottish writer and translator, a true European
homme de lettres [pdf 121
- George Orwell. 1984 and thereafter [pdf
- Philosophy Football – the team which plays with intellectual
distinction. Legends refuse to be put out to grass. 2005 [pdf
121 KB]. The heart of the matter. 2003 [pdf
142 KB]. «All that
I know most surely about morality and obligations, I owe to football».
2003 [pdf 38 KB] [www.philosophyfootballfc.org.uk]
- Hollow victory for the German left? By Stefan Howald. Soundings
22, London December 2002, 95-100.
- Karl Viktor von Bonstetten – A Swiss visitor in Berkshire
in the 18th century. Why the English did have quite a lot of liberty,
but not enough spoons to eat properly. 1997. [pdf
Much more is to be found on the German pages of the website, but
English publishers might even be interested in the translation of
the first biography on Eric Ambler or of an in-depth study in Insular